Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Cassette Review: Bonehead "Finally Punk" (Crass Lips Records)


[$5 // https://crasslipsrecords.bandcamp.com/album/bonehead-finally-punk]

When I think of a title such as "Finally Punk" I like to wonder what took so long but then I remember I didn't actually listen to punk rock until high school myself, so it's not like it's something that everyone- or even the majority of people- are born into in that sense.   I also always thought it was kind of funny how there were always these hardcore guys who would get too old and lose their voices so they'd play in emo bands because that just seemed to be where they went after they could no longer hardcore.    I guess it's just one of those natural progressions of music types of things and I enjoy thinking about all of that.

There are a number of ways to describe the music of Bonehead but at its core, yes, I would agree that the title is correct and this has those punk rock roots at the base of it all.   From this dreamy sound like Concrete Blonde to something louder that could even be found on the "10 Things I Hate About You" soundtrack, this one goes from distorted to instrumental but maintains what I feel it is to be punk.

On perhaps one song you could say that it has the sound of another artist but overall, when considering each of the songs on this cassette, there is no other artist who has quite put together a collection such as this before.   It's just as diverse as it is similar, the various elements keeping each song from sounding the same while still bringing them all back to their punk rock grounding.    In some ways it even reminds me of something from that Mr. T Experience era of Lookout! Records.

Typically it would seem inevitable to state that if you are a fan of punk music then you will enjoy this, but I do feel like this one goes above and beyond punk music somehow.   I feel like people who enjoy good music will listen to this and get it.   You don't have to like punk rock, but this could be that one cassette where you go, "Yeah, I don't listen to a lot of punk, but I listen to this".









No comments:

Post a Comment